Monday 5 January 2009

Quote of the Day

From the Observer Sport section yesterday p6. An article about Middlesbrough v Barrow:-

'How ironic, then, that Barrow's big day should be played out in another northern coastal town only too familiar with the ups and downs that come with being built on the sweat of heavy industry.'

Mr Spencer Vignes ( for he was the journalist); please look at a map before writing a 'it's grim oop north article'. Last time I was in Middlesbrough (Saturday) I did not notice groups of people queueing up to buy candy floss, buckets and spades, and 'kiss me quick hats'. And there is a simple reason for this (apart from the temperature currently being about -1 centigrade); there is no coast in Middlesbrough- we are inland.

Also 'another northern coastal town' is like writing that Penzance and Brighton are 'southern coastal towns'..... grrrrrrrrr.......... why is the media so southern?

I'm just off now to have tripe butties for my lunch, feed the whippets, put some more coal in the bathtub and find my flat cap. 'appen lad- there's trouble at t'pit'

grrrr grrrr grrrrrr

1 comment:

Hawkii said...

A bit out of sorts, are we? I thought the Wars of Roses resolved all of those regional disputes.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.