Monday 5 January 2009

The first day of the year....



Well it's not.....it is the 5th and the 11th day of Christmas (and my 100th post......wahey....woohoo and other sounds of merriment)..... but this day always feels like the first day of the year: the first Monday 'back at work' proper. It used to be the day when I had a 'proper job' that I would sit at my desk, head in hands, drinking coffee (hmm..... have you ever tried holding your head in your hands and drinking coffee at the same time? It is not easy) and thinking 'when can I have another day off?'


('Addictive to Coffee' cartoon from littlefunny.com)

But- that was then, this is now and I'm always full of beans (mainly coffee) and the joy of the Lord and raring to go (well my study is next to the toilet, so that helps...)....hmmm- maybe a 'hint' of irony there....


3 quotes/ideas that are going round my head at the moment and helping- only one is original; I 'magpie' constantly:-


(1) Something that I picked up from Maggi Dawn's blog a year ago (see links section):-

'The danger of seeing our present actions as only steps to some future goal is that we will find ourselves waiting to start living, postponing present possibilities in the vain hope of some future state of bliss. The secret of happiness is to make peace with the present.'


(2) I was reading a blog on new year's day about action/seeking God and thinking about a baptism/leaving service I am doing for friends who are emigrating (this Sunday- Huddersfield- be there or don't be there). I was also thinking about what it means to 'Go' and this thought came to me...

'There is no point in a restless adventure without a still centre'.


(3) This is off Jonny Baker's blog (see links) a day or so ago. I used it yesterday and plan to use it on Sunday. I like it!



May we be blessed.
As we look to the year ahead, and the year gone by.
As we return to our schools and workplaces and find New rocks and New brambles.
May you be blessed as you engage with others,
as you find the time to participate and give others the chance to do the same.
May you have the courage to create and take risks,
and may you find your rest in God.

May you be blessed,
as you show your weaknesses and accept God's Grace.
May others see that you are fragile that they might join in your fragility.
May our broken edges fit together to become one body.
As Christ kept the holes in his hands and feet having rose from the dead,
may we keep our wounds even after we have healed.
May you be blessed as you are healed by Christ's own wounds.
May you become broken in order to become whole.
May you become whole by knowing you are broken.

May you remember your wounds and embrace your hurt.
May you go into the places that scare you.
May you deal with anger and with sadness
And may God be with you all the way.

May you be blessed, that you are perfect in your imperfections -
as you are forgiven, but never forgotten.
May you be blessed, as you are accepted as you are.
As you are broken.
As you are wounded.
As you are hurt.
As you are loved.
Amen.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.