Tuesday 30 December 2008

I'm back...2 (late night) thoughts....



Back from the frozen north to the even more frozen north...



(1) I could watch a junky movie over and over and over again. Negligible character development, wooden dialogue, gratutious bloodshed and ahigh bodycount and I'm 'in the zone' (I haven't got a clue what that phrase means but it is used a lot).

Late at night, knackered, something like Jurassic Park 'ticks all the boxes' (I'm being paid per cliche). To my befuddled and resting mind, most of the Freeview channels are repeating various Jurassic Parks ad nauseum at the moment. One of the beauties of this series of movies is that you cannot tell which is which...it is pure mindless entertainment.

Watching one a day or 2 back hit me---it suddenly got serious. The Jeff Goldblum character said something like:-

'You have been too busy working out that you could, without thinking whether you should'.

And just before we returned to the wooden dialogue, blood etc, I'm thinking 'Wow..... and therein lies my weakness and the whole of my western culture's weakness.... and right in the middle of a pulpy film.'

(2) Passing an ergonomically designed M&S lorry on the way down to Manchester. On the side of the lorry was some helpful blurb about the design of the lorry and M&S's green credentials (I find it incredibly helpful seeing lots of interesting writing on the side of a lorry. Particularly when you are passing it at speeds of between 69.5 and 70.5 mph (and if you'll believe that...) in tricky road conditions and you are programmed to read anything....).

Is it just me..... or would the biggest contribution to the environment be to stop making lorries full stop... and to stop making so much stuff to sell to people whose houses are so full of stuff in the first place (ie people just like me.....)?

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.