Sunday 14 December 2008

Get your chunky sweaters on; it's poetry time....



Poetry.




Doesn't that word just fill you with dread? I'm going to have to listen to someone intoning humourlessly about something that makes no sense. Plus, they are going to talk in a funny voice not like their real voice. Plus, they are going to become over earnest.




Ok- I am a Philistine (yes, I am 3000 years old, attack Israel frequently, raping their women and dashing their babies against rocks. But it's ok..... I am undergoing counselling). When I was 14, in the top set for English Literature, I did say to the teacher about some poem or other (you can see it had a deep impression on me) 'This is not a poem as it does not rhyme.' Now, at 42, having heard stuff that does rhyme (ie Coldplay) I have learned that rhyming does not neccesarily guarantee quality:-


'Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones'

is hardly Shakespeare (ok, I am jealous).


With all this cornucopia of caveats, here is a poem I do like.


Simon Armitage is tops (and not just because he used to work with someone I knew as a part-time probation officer in Oldham) - 'Killing Time' is excellent.


Check out:-


'Scarborough beach on Friday, sandwriting
says Jesus is Lord.
Letters come and go. On Sunday he's lard, lurid, blurred.
By Tuesday he's bored'.


And this, by way of a lengthy introduction is my Christmas bit:-



Meanwhile, the lights on Oxford Street this year
ask us to stop and think
not of Christ in his crib or reindeers hauling a sleigh
but a chemically-inferred orange drink
and the nation's best known brand of frozen peas,
frozen straight from the pod.
And couples walk its golden mile, brides and grooms on the aisle
of the church where money is God.
Back where,back when, Christ was a painted clothes-peg
in an After Eight box;
Mary the Tiny Tears doll and Joseph the Action Man
knelt with the sheep and the ox
in the shape of a fun-fur teddy and porcelain dog
from the mantelpiece, and all
were lit by a single flame from a nite-lite candle
floating in a glass bowl
within the manger of an upturned packing case with a window hole.
And it had the right feel,
even if one version of Christmas compared to another is no more or less real.'

I challenge you to buy the book or to use it at sometime.

Right- enough earnestness for one night, chunky sweater off. That's better. Back to being irreverent (and irrelevant) and time to clean the kitchen. Man, that's living............

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.