Friday 10 October 2008

Back at work...still

I've finally started proper lessons on this...... I am slowly trying to unlearn my bad technique...

My posting is slipping- that is a bad sign.


I made all sorts of informal promises to myself about how I would handle the return and what I would do....blogging was supposed to be a discipline to help that.


So here I am on Friday...the day that I get most stuff done for Sunday, trying to keep that vow.


Here is something from Jonny Baker (see blogs I follow) from a couple of days ago:-


'one of the interesting sections in clay shirky's chapter is a story of a firm that had new management and a piece of research was done to see which managers came up with the most creative solutions. the discovery was that those that were least locked into their own department brought the most creativity i.e. lots of their connections were external. as he put it bridging capital puts people at greater risk of having good ideas. in any network there is a balance to be had. the temptation is to want to keep it tight - i.e. relate to people with similar passions/interests etc as you share concerns, struggles etc. but the network will stifle if it is too tight - it needs random elements and connections that are totally different to bring a creative edge. how you strike that balance i have no idea but for some people i think it's counter intuitive'.


That says to me, don't get sucked in.... keep reading, networking etc etc and make space for that. When I don't I get too serious or suffer from 'Messiah complex' (every minister gets it- 'I can solve your problems' or worse still 'I am the cause of everything, nothing can move without me).
I'm going now, back to preparation hopefully, to paraphrase Leonard Cohen, to leave enough cracks in everything so the light can get in.....




No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.