Monday 7 July 2008

I want to be a rock star: parts 3-5

Ok I should have posted over the weekend, but I didn't. I was 'too busy'.

The Cornshed has finished: what a fantastic time. Fave act: The Wildcats of Kilkenny.

I finally realised what 'loitering with intent' meant. I went for both nights and that was all I did- loitering, talking, praying, drinking.

Reckon I had more God conversations in the 2 nights than I would in 2 months or more. All just by hanging around, having no agendas & being in a space where I had no authority or right to be heard.

There is something about having a God conversation that starts with a half drunk person in an open air gents urinal......

Comments from an ex-Salvationist that would not be sure that he would call himself a Christian.

Him: 'What does a Cornshed chaplain do?'
Me: 'Its like repeatedly digging bore-holes, thousands of them (he worked in construction)- and seeing what's there...'

He compared it to someone he knew in marketing- not all the stuff I do gets a result, 50% is a waste of time, but I don't know which 50%, so I have to keep doing it......

Then the comment- 'I liked the SA- the uniforms had a good reason for them- it gave an identity- no-one knew whether you were rich or poor- you just looked the same. It was good. But- they were trying to reach the really poor, the uniforms were starting to cost too much. And the uniform became so culturally irrelevant that the people they were trying to reach just laughed at them. The worst of it was- SA people got hung up on defending the uniform and not seeing the wider picture'.

Someone else (loosley part of the Sunday Breakfast) about being ex RC and perhaps (self description) being an agnostic- but I want my kids to have a Christian framework- they will be better equipped to make choices, rather than no framework. And the encouragement to keep doing what I'm doing- people notice....

Thought for next year- someone said 'You need to be more visible here'- how about a shirt with 'God squad' on? How about giving away something?

Another thought- people, especially blokes, are open when becoming pickled--- so discuss for implications for mission?

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.