Thursday 3 July 2008

I wanna be a rock star: part one

I really do- but I can't play guitar.

So I figured- the next best thing to do is to be some kind of rock chaplain. I wrote to Micheal Eavis- decent methodist that he is, about Glastonbury, but nothing came of that (and I just fancied staggering out of a limo, bottle of communion wine in hand, shades, large cross...).

Next best thing? The cornshed http://thecornshed.org.uk/ local bash- 1000 each night & Judy is a church memeber. She asked- will you be our chaplain- we have never had one? I said 'Yes' (well I said a lot more)- not knowing what to do.

So I turned up yesterday to be a chaplain, which I think means 'loitering with intent'- doing stuff, mucking in, trying to listen to God and to other people & having a good time. I made tea, pushed equipment, put up a gazebo and just chatted. Fantastic- wish I could do it all the time.

Judy introduced me to loads of people. Towards the end- bumped into 'David Bailey', the photographer. Just above my age, 4 kids- self decribed 'former alpha male' and raised as an 'aggressive athiest'. Fascinating conversation that rose from just hanging around. Conversation put me in mind of the great Van Morrison 'did you feel the silence?'- ie 'did you feel the spirit. 'David Bailey' described a journey of, whilst being 'non-religious'- encouraging his children to go to his wife's RC church and going a long and enjoying it.

Key memory (for me)- 'I'm glad someone like you is here.' 'i hear the church is going through a bad patch- on-one is coming. You need to persevere- we will come round to you. We will be glad you were there in the end.' Perhaps really being a Christian in our post- everything culture is slowing down, listening for the 'voice from the wilderness?'

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.