Monday 23 June 2008

I will call this one my second post....

Ok- confession time. I am a Methodist Minister and I am on a sabbatical. 'Great' people say. 'You know, I would love to have a sabbatical'. I reply to many of them- 'OK then- you can have my sabbatical and I will have your salary'. The conversation peters off then.

I started this blog as I wanted to learn how to blog and keep it up. I have my own private journal for my more private rants and reflections- this one is more public.

Why the title 'digging a lot'?

I came across this bit in the book of Hosea in the Bible recently. I don't want to say 'God told me to read this', but I had a distinct feeling of 'read it' (ie the whole book).

This was the bit:-

'Sow for yourself righteousness;
reap steadfast love;
break up your fallow ground;
for it is time to seek the Lord.

I find those words really powerful at the moment. Maybe a sabbatical is a time to do just that- break up fallow ground, dig around a bit- work out what I'm doing, attend to stuff I leave or shut out.

Hope I can do this. Someone I met last week said that in this time you tend to 'crash and burn' - you are not sure what to think or which way is up. What's more, this is usual and not to be feared.

Ok.... in between the GCSE marking (I want to relax, read, but dammit, we need the money!)... I need to phone someone and find a spiritual director/soul friend....I've been putting it off for to long.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.