Sunday 4 January 2009

Covenant

'One of the liturgical jewels that methodism brings to the ecumenical table'.

Don't you wish that there was a church version of 'Pseuds corner?' (for non British readers, that is a column in 'Private Eye' for overblown, stuck up your bottom, language). What for instance is a 'liturgical jewel'- is it more or less valuable than a small diamond/piece of gold/ruby/zirconite/beach glass? And what, pray tell, is an ecumenical table? Is it stored in a cupboard at a church HQ somewhere to be bought out for ecumenical discussions: 'Sorry lads- that is the 'Real Presence' table; please could you get the Ecumenical Table in; you know the one that doesn't quite balance and is a bit battered and embarrasing. Whilst you are at it; phone Security- we have an ecumenical jewel coming in today'.


I like the Covenant Service- it is a kind of health check, a reminder at the start of the year. I don't like the service fully from the service book. It can become too po-faced and stern (and why do we often think that that is good in a church setting?). It can confuse seriousness with plain boring and tends to shut all ages out IMHO.

See this from the excellent Dave Walker:-http://www.cartoonchurch.com/blog/
However- this morning I will use one of the versions of 'the prayer' in its entireity. I always do. I/we face many big possible life changes in the next few weeks. I haven't a clue what to pray. Sometimes written stuff helps. This prayer, said in a community with others, stops my prayers becoming 'Me Me':-

'I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing, put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you, or laid aside for you, exalted for you, or brought low for you;
let me be full, let me be empty,
let me have all things, let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours.'

(check out: http://www.methodist.org.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=opentogod.content&cmid=1499)


That will be one of several moments of stillness in an 'all age' service this morning (I like 'all age'- lots of opps for light and shade, stillness and movement and formality and informality- ie a life-filled occasion).

I did google 'comedy vicar' for a picture for this post and it only came up with this, which I like immensely (see asbojesus in links):-




nb: Middlesbrough v Barrow yesterday was not like watching Brazil, but it was exciting (and very cold).

1 comment:

Hawkii said...

The prayer is outstanding and sets a standard for thought and action.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger

What I'm listening to....

  • Alison Krauss/Robert Plant- Raising Sand
  • Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
  • Bright Eyes- Cassadaga
  • Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and all His Friends
  • Dan Le Sac V Scroobius Pip- Angles
  • Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • My own compilation: Songs of morbid introspection Volume 2
  • Portishead: Third
  • Radiohead: OK Computer

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I exist in time and space most of the time. Married to Victoria, 2 children.